Thursday, March 21, 2013

3.21.13- Literary Essay Rough Plan (cont.)

Literary Essay Rough Plan

Claim: Ruthie from the story 'Swim' by Jennifer Weiner learns that sometimes you have to not let what's past affect your future.

Reason 1: When Ruthie is reminded about her past, she leaves it behind and doesn't take those memories into her future, where she doesn't need them.

Supporting Example 1: Her ex-coworker calls (he betrayed her) and offers her a job. She says no, and she refuses to meet up again, therefore letting the past behind her. (Summary)

Supporting Example 2: “I pulled a notebook out of my purse and flipped to a fresh page. Part of me thought this was the weirdest thing I’d ever heard.” (DQ)

Supporting Example 3: He reminded me of someone. When I realized who, I shook my head and ignored my own thoughts. (Summary)

Reason 2: When someone asks her to tell them about her past, she doesn't tell them and doesn't make a big deal of the things that don't matter anymore. She is letting the past go.

Supporting Example 1: When someone notices her scar on her cheek from the past, she just says it's a long story that doesn't need to be told. (Summary)

Supporting Example 2: “I don’t think I am, but who knows? Maybe I’m wrong.” (DQ)

Supporting Example 3: “Got it,” I murmured. I didn't exactly want to talk about it." (DQ/Summary)

Reason 3: She doesn't take her old memories or places and people into her daily life, she instead focuses on the moment during her day and tries to live life for the moment without letting the past affect her.

Supporting Example 1: “I nodded numbly. I couldn’t speak, couldn’t move. I breathed deeply, hoping he wouldn’t see that the blood had drained out of my face.” (DQ page 46)

Supporting Example 2 [direct quotation or important e

Supporting Example 3 [direct quotation or important events]

No comments:

Post a Comment