Thursday, April 3, 2014

4.2.14- AHW/Ford Freedom Essay 2014

**This is my ford freedom essay.**
What is Your Cliff?
Everything  you  do  requires  motivation.  Some  people  say  the  hardest  part  of  doing  anything  is  starting.  But  I'd  disagree.  I  think  the  hardest  part  of  persevering  through  something  is  to  keep  going,  no  matter  how  old  you  are.  To  tell  yourself  to  keep  working  towards  your  goal,  and  to  never  give  up.  I've  been  through  many  times  where  I  wanted  to  give  up.  But  today  I'm  just  focusing  in  on  one  time.  
I  was  standing  on  a  cliff.  Well,  it  seemed  like  a  cliff  when  I  was  only  6  years  old.  Everyday  at  recess  I  would  stand  on  the  play  structure  and  watch  other  kids  slide  down  the  pole  and  run  off  with  their  friends.  And  everyday  I  would  try  and  fail  to  do  it  myself.  I  knew  I  could  do  it.  Everyone  else  in  my  class  could,  and  why  couldn't  I?  
It  seemed  like  the  biggest  thing  in  my  life  at  the  time.  So  one  day,  I  decided  I  would  do  it.  I  would  face  my  fears  and  slide  down  the  pole  at  the  top  of  the  play  structure  to  the  ground.  This  involved  enlisting  the  help  of  my  best  friends  and  watching  them  slide  down  and  around  to  the  ground.  Once  I  was  worked  up  enough  to  do  it  myself,  I  stepped  up  to  my  own  personal  cliff.  The  wind  on  that  spring  day  was  picking  up,  so  my  hair  blew  up  around  my  face  while  I  grasped  onto  the  handle  as  if  it  was  my  last  and  only  hope.  Behind  me,  my  friends  cheered  and  called  out  advice.  After  a  minute  or  two  of  contemplating  my  options,  I  held  to  the  pole  even  tighter.  In  one  swift  move,  I  lifted  off  the  platform  and  wrapped  around  the  pole.  I  started  spinning  fast  around  the  pole,  and  my  heart  sped  up  just  as  fast.  My  friends  still  stood  at  the  top  of  platform  excitedly  while  I  flew  down  to  the  ground  in  one  quick  movement.  When  I  reached  the  ground,  I  set  my  little  decorated  Twinkle  Toes  shoes  on  the  ground  and  jumped  up  and  down  on  the  wood  chips.  I  had  actually  done  it.  I  had  jumped  off  my  cliff,  and  even  though  it  was  the  most  normal  thing  that  anybody  could  do,  it  was  wildly  impacting  for  me.  I  didn't  just  go  down  a  pole,  I  boosted  my  confidence  as  well.  Even  as  a  6  year  old,  you  have  your  own  goals,  and  reaching  them  feels  worth  it.  
That's  my  story.  That's  my  personal  cliff.  I  think  that  everyone  has  their  own  cliff,  and  everyone  has  different  things  that  scare  them,  or  take  effort  to  achieve.  So,  I  ask  you,  what  is  your  cliff? 

No comments:

Post a Comment